Do you really know what’s in your protein supplements?
Without a world-wide recognized laboratory at your disposal, how would you know if the protein content in your favourite protein powder been falsely inflated with cheaper amino acids? Has your supplement passed purity and heavy metal tests, so it’s safe to consume day-after-day?
Up until now, consumers had limited ways of verifying protein product claims and had to blindly trust that companies were putting quality over profit.
But now, consumers can count on the Labcert® Quality Verification Program for an unbiased verification of their product’s label claims and quality. The Labcert® logo is a mark of quality and purity given to nutritional supplements that meet several standards.
LabCert® Quality Verification Program Requirements
- Annual label claim and contaminant testing
- The Nutrition Facts / Supplement Facts are accurate*
- Reported protein content represents true protein sources
- Product formula undergoes toxicological review for ingredients of concern
- All ingredients are clearly and accurately listed on the label
- The product is made in a manufacturing facility that meets Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Manufacturing facility audited to GMP requirements at regular intervals
- The product meets regulatory standards for heavy metals and other purity measures
*Within allowable regulatory tolerances
These standards ensure that you are consuming a safe and effective supplement as well as getting your full money’s worth.
As the price of whey has increased, companies could be motivated to cut corners. While free amino acids are cheaper and can trick standard protein tests, they don’t give the full performance and health benefits of complete proteins in their natural form.
The LabCert® Quality Verification Program holds all products to high expectations and keeps the playing field level.
LabCert® uses a certified third-party laboratory representative to independently purchase products in the marketplace. The manufacturing facility or brand owner cannot send in hand-picked samples, only the products purchased by an authorized representative of the laboratory are used for testing.
The products are taken to nearby testing facilities to have a range of analytical and purity tests performed using USP/AOAC testing protocols. Specialized tests can detect free-form amino acids that may have been added to inflate protein content.
The Lab’s findings are sent to LabCert® for further analysis.
LabCert® 5 Step Review Process
- Toxicological review for ingredients of concern.
- Checking that the ingredients listed on label match product formula.
- Verification of ingredient sources and lab testing (eg protein sources).
- Lab assay/analysis to check label claims meet allowable regulatory tolerances.
- Review heavy metal & microbiological testing to ensure conformance to regulatory requirements.
After the results are reviewed under LabCert® guidelines, companies are given permission to display the LabCert® logo on the tested products.
The LabCert® Quality Verification program allows consumers to know that they are buying a high-quality product that has undergone the LabCert® 5-Step Review Process.
LabCert® is a quality verification program run in conjunction with a world-wide, independent lab partner. It’s designed to better the industry and increase consumer confidence that they are purchasing trustworthy products.
Consumers are looking for safe, cost-effective ways to improve their daily health routines. As they become more health aware, they are looking closely at the products and supplements they are consuming. Reports of recalls, unregulated products and misleading labels have shaken consumer confidence in the supplement industry.
LabCert® was founded to provide a trustworthy source of information for consumers. LabCert® gives consumers the power of informed choice when looking for quality and transparency in a health product brand. Every consumer has a right to know that what a label says is in the product, is actually in it.
The goal of the LabCert® Quality Verification program is to enable the consumer to make informed buying choices and give them the information to purchase trustworthy brands. Brands can use the independent lab reports to continuously improve and maintain their product’s quality and purity.
Look for the LabCert® logo for verification that a product has met stringent quality and purification standards and offers true value and effectiveness.
It’s not just industry sites and magazines that are educating people about protein spiking and unethical companies, it’s even been covered in Forbes. Click the articles below to learn more about the deceptive practices some companies have been accused of using to inflate their protein content and label claims.
- By Alex Morrell in Forbes
- From PricePlow.com
- From Class Action News
- Includes list of brands under review for protein spiking
- By Kimberly J. Decker in Nutritional Outlook
- By William Imbo in BoxLife Magazine
- By Dan Gwartney in Labrada News